Contact SHS

Phone(909) 621-8222
Fax | (909) 621-8472
After Hours Emergency | (909) 607-2000

Student Health Services
Tranquada Student Services Center – 1st Floor
757 College Way
Claremont, CA, 91711

Student Health Services

Student Health Services provides patient-centered health care to our campus community in a professional and compassionate manner that directly contributes to the student's well-being and overall success. Student Health Services at The Claremont Colleges is a service of The Claremont Colleges Services and is provided to all undergraduate students enrolled at The Claremont Colleges.

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if I have a lab order from an outside provider?2024-02-02T11:58:04-08:00

If you receive a Quest lab order form from an outside provider and you have private insurance, please upload the order and the front and back of your insurance card to your online health portal. Once they are uploaded, you can call SHS at (909) 621-8222 to schedule a lab appointment.  

If you receive a Quest lab order and you are enrolled in SHIP, it is recommended that you see an SHS provider to order the labs. Coverage will generally be better for orders written by an SHS provider. Please upload a copy of the lab order to your online health portal. Once it is uploaded, you can call SHS at (909) 621-8222 and request a provider visit for an outside lab order.   

If the order is on any other form, you will need a visit with an SHS provider to order the labs. Please upload a copy of the order form to your online health portal. Once it is uploaded, you can call SHS at (909) 621-8222 and request a provider visit for an outside lab order.  

Any labs ordered by an SHS provider will be billed to the patient. Student Health Services does not directly bill any insurance company, including SHIP. Itemized receipts that can be submitted to an insurance carrier are available to students through their online health portal.

Can I get my blood and other lab tests done at Student Health Services?2024-02-02T11:58:04-08:00

Yes, Student Health Services does have the ability to draw blood and collect other lab specimens. We send the samples to Quest Laboratories for processing. However, a valid lab order from a provider is needed. If you need a lab order, please call to schedule an appointment with one of our providers. If you already have a lab order from an outside provider, please review the “What should I do if I have a lab order from an outside provider?” FAQ for further guidance.

How do I make an appointment to see a doctor or nurse practitioner?2024-02-06T13:50:55-08:00

You can schedule an appointment online through My Health Portal. Alternatively, you can call (909) 621-8222 to speak with a medical receptionist who will assist you. You may also schedule an appointment in person at Student Health Services.

May I request a specific doctor, nurse practitioner or appointment time?2024-02-06T13:50:21-08:00

The medical receptionists attempt to schedule the first available appointment that works with your schedule. You may request any provider or specific day and time, with the understanding that this may result in a longer waiting time for the appointment.

What happens if I have to schedule my appointment during class time?2024-02-06T13:49:47-08:00

If you need a verification letter at any other time, you must call SHS to make the request.

When the medical receptionist asks why I want to see the medical provider, can I still make an appointment if I do not want to disclose that information?2024-02-06T13:49:05-08:00

Although it is helpful for the receptionist making the appointment to know why you wish to see a provider, you can tell the receptionist that it is a “personal matter.” Please be advised that in some instances, if the provider is not given complete information, a follow-up appointment may need to be scheduled.

What does it cost to see the doctor or nurse practitioner?2024-02-02T12:00:56-08:00

There is no charge for a scheduled appointment to see the doctor or nurse practitioner. However, depending upon your treatment you may be billed for services rendered at the time of your appointment. The following services may result in additional charges: physical examinations, X-rays, lab tests, prescription medicine and other medical procedures. Your provider will discuss your treatment with you explaining the need and cost of additional services. As a patient, you may decline any services. If you do not have a scheduled appointment there will be a non-scheduled visit charge of $15. You will be seen by the nursing staff who will triage and determine if this is an urgent matter. Non-urgent matters will be offered a future appointment or referred to a local urgent care center.

Can I speak to a provider when the office is closed?2024-02-02T11:58:04-08:00

The Student Health Services on-call nurse advice line can be contacted by calling SHS at (909) 621-8222. On-call services are available Monday through Friday 5 p.m. until 8 a.m. and 24 hours a day over weekends.

What if I do not want my parents to find out I saw a doctor?2024-02-02T12:02:02-08:00

All medical services provided students by Student Health Services are strictly confidential. The only way a parent or any other individual may have access to private medical information is by written consent signed by the patient, naming the specific person(s) and any medical information that is to be released. Release of information form

May I have a copy of my medical records?2024-02-26T11:23:45-08:00

All students may request a copy of their medical records. This release of information form or a written request must be submitted. This request should include the name of the school the student is attending/attended, year of graduation, list of information requested, and the manner of delivery (mailed or picked up by the patient). It must be dated and signed by the patient. The form can be dropped off at SHS, uploaded to the Online Health Portal, or emailed to shs.records@claremont.edu. The records will then be copied and delivered according to the patient’s request. A small fee for copying may be charged. Medical records are also available directly to students through their Online Health Portal.

What if Student Health Services is closed and I need my information?2024-02-02T12:02:01-08:00

Student Health Services is closed during the winter and summer breaks. However, you may still submit a written request for medical records. This release of information form or a written request must be submitted. This request should include: the name of the school the student is attending/attended, year of graduation, list of information requested, the manner of delivery (mailed or picked-up by patient) and must be dated and signed by the patient. The records will then be copied and delivered according to the patient’s request. A small fee for copying may be charged. Please allow two weeks for delivery of the records.

Can I get birth control at Student Health Services?2024-02-02T11:58:04-08:00

Student Health Services offers many sexual health services. Birth control may be provided to patients after a brief appointment with a provider. During your appointment, the provider will discuss your needs and options available. A physical examination is not required at the time of your request, but your provider will discuss the need for any future appointments with you. You may request a female provider at the time of making an appointment for any women’s health needs.

Student Health Services also offers the following services: pregnancy testing, PAP screening, confidential STI testing, lab work, breast examinations and consultations for personal and private matters. Please see the sexual health page for more details.

What if I do not like the medical provider I saw at SHS, but I need to come back?2024-02-06T13:48:21-08:00

You can schedule an appointment with any provider. If you have been given a recommendation for a provider or would like to see a different provider than you’ve seen in the past, simply make the request at the time you make your appointment. There is no requirement to provide a reason for the change.

How long do I have to wait if I don’t have a scheduled appointment?2024-02-06T13:47:50-08:00

Student Health Services cannot give a guarantee of a minimum or maximum wait time for non-scheduled visits. Patients will be seen by the nursing staff that will triage and determine if this is an “urgent” matter. Non-urgent matters will be offered a future appointment and will be provided with self-care instructions, or will be referred to a local urgent care center.

What if I cannot pay the charges for service after seeing the medical provider?2024-02-02T12:00:56-08:00

As a patient, you have the right to decline services for lab or X-ray before they are ordered by the health care provider. At the time of check-out, the medical receptionist will explain all charges to you. You have 15 days from the date of your appointment to make payment(s) on your account. You may make payments by check, cash, Claremont Cash or credit card (Visa/MasterCard). If your bill has not been paid after 15 days, the bill will be sent to your college and the college then will request payment according to their campus policies.

What should I know about COVID-19?2024-02-02T11:57:03-08:00

For the latest COVID-19 information, please visit The Claremont Colleges’ COVID-19 website here.

My roommate has Mono, how do I know if I have it and what do I do?2024-02-02T11:57:03-08:00

“Mono” is short for infectious mononucleosis, an illness caused by the Epstein-Barr virus. It is characterized initially by mild headache, tiredness and decreased appetite followed by sore throat, fatigue, swollen glands, fever, muscle aches and sometimes a swollen liver or spleen. Not all people with mono have all of the symptoms and the severity can vary. The symptoms usually last one to four weeks but some people may have lingering fatigue. Mono is a self-limited illness, which means that it resolves itself. There is no medicine that will cure the infection. Patients should rest, drink lots of fluids, use throat lozenges and take acetaminophen (Tylenol) 650 milligrams every four to six hours as needed. Rarely, steroid medications are used to shrink severely swollen tonsils. There are no specific restrictions on non-athletic activities but patients should rest as much as necessary. Do not drink alcohol. After the symptoms are gone, normal activities may be resumed. More information: What is Mono?

I’ve heard there is an outbreak of measles in Los Angeles County. What do I need to know about measles?2024-02-02T11:57:03-08:00

Measles is an acute viral infection.  Initial symptoms usually start within 7 to 14 days of infection but can incubate up to 21 days and may include high fever; cough; runny nose; and red, watery eyes.  Two to three days after symptoms begin, tiny white spots may appear inside the mouth.  Three to five days after symptoms begin, a rash breaks out.  The rash usually begins as flat red spots on the face at the hairline, and then spreads downward to the neck, trunk, arms, legs, and feet.  The rash may become raised and join together as the rash spreads.  After a few days, the fever and rash fade.  Possible complications of Measles include ear infection, pneumonia, and encephalitis (swelling of the brain). For more information: Measles

My teammate just found out that they have Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease (HFMD). What do I need to know about HFMD?2024-02-02T11:57:03-08:00

This illness is very common and is caused by a virus that can be transmitted through contact with mucus from the nose, saliva and fluid from open rashes/sores. Symptoms often include flulike symptoms such as a sore throat, fever, reduced appetite, body aches and general malaise. It also often includes a rash/sores, mainly to the mouth, palms of hands and soles of feet. Those infected with the virus normally recover without medical treatment in 7 to 10 days. The virus rarely causes complications. There is not currently a vaccine available for Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease, and treatment options include oral pain relievers (e.g. Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen), throat lozenges and other home care measures. For more information: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease

I think I have the stomach flu, what do I do?2024-02-02T11:57:03-08:00

Gastroenteritis (stomach flu) is an illness characterized by nausea, vomiting, fever, diarrhea and abdominal cramps. It is most commonly caused by viruses and usually no tests are necessary. More information: What is Gastroenteritis?

What should I do if I have a Cold or Seasonal Influenza?2024-02-02T11:57:03-08:00

Persons with influenza have some or all of these symptoms: fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills, fatigue, diarrhea and vomiting. These symptoms may last one to two weeks. If you have been diagnosed with influenza, or strongly suspect that you have it, you should follow these recommendations:

    • Get plenty of rest.
    • Drink extra fluids. Warm fluids like tea with honey/lemon and soup may be soothing.
    • Gargle with a salt water solution, mouthwash, or use a throat spray if helpful.
    • Take acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), or naproxen (Aleve) to reduce fever and lessen headache and body ache.
    • Use decongestants (Sudafed), antihistamines (loratadine, diphenhydramine) and cough suppressants (dextromethorphan-DM) as directed to reduce symptoms.
    • Take a steamy shower or use a humidifier to relieve nasal congestion.

More information: Cold or Flu Information

Will Student Health Services bill my insurance directly?2024-02-02T12:01:10-08:00

Student Health Services does not provide any health insurance policy. Students may purchase student health insurance through your college. Many students carry health insurance provided by their parent or guardian. Student Health Services does not directly bill any insurance company. A receipt is provided that can be submitted to an insurance carrier for reimbursement. Students are responsible for payment of all clinic charges at the time of service, or may make payments directly to Student Health Services within 15 days. After 15 days, the charge(s) is transferred to student accounts at your college. For information regarding the Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan, please contact your dean of students office.

What should I do if I or a friend experiences a sexual assault?2024-02-02T11:59:36-08:00

People who have experienced a sexual assault have experienced a profound violation. Their sense of safety and predictability has been shattered. Survivors’ reactions may vary profoundly depending on their life circumstances and amount of social support. Student Health and Counseling Services is available to provide support, resources and assistance to students who have experienced a sexual assault. For more information, please see:

How can I get medical advice?2024-02-02T11:59:36-08:00

The Student Health Services for The Claremont Colleges, has a nurse advice phone service. Students can call the office during office hours and speak with a registered nurse for advice or to determine if the student needs to be seen by a medical provider that day or for a future appointment.

If the nurse is unable to answer the phone, students may leave a message and the advice nurse will return the call between 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Students can get self-care help and instructions for conditions, including upset stomach, cold symptoms, fever, sore throat and rash. The nurses can also answer questions about birth control or sexually transmitted infection concerns. Patients may be directed to see a medical provider at the Student Health Services or be advised to go to the local urgent care center or emergency room if needed. On-call services are available after office hours through campus safety at (909) 607-2000.

What should I do if I suspect I or a friend has an eating disorder?2024-02-02T11:59:35-08:00

The Eating Disorder Task Force is a collaborative effort by Monsour Counseling and Psychological Services (MCAPS), Student Health Services and Health Education Outreach (HEO) to provide resources and direct services to students struggling with eating disorders. The Eating Disorder Task Force aims to support students with direct services and provide appropriate referrals to enhance their psychological well-being and physical health and provide education consultation, awareness and outreach services to students, faculty and staff at The Claremont Colleges.

Where can I dispose of sharps?2024-02-02T11:59:35-08:00

On campus, there are 3 sharps containers that can be utilized for disposal of sharps and needles-
1. In the bathroom on the first floor of Tranquada (on the left side)
2. In the all gender restroom located on the 2nd floor of the Smith Campus Center on Pomona’s campus (Verified with Pomona that it is open to students from other campuses.)
3. The QRC center also has a sharps container in the bathroom there.
Pomona is working towards adding more sharps containers in their gender neutral bathrooms, but it is a work in progress.

Off campus, but very nearby is also the Claremont City Yard, which accepts locked sharps containers M-TH, 8-5 and will replace your sharps container for free.  Here is the link for more information- https://safeneedledisposal.org/single-listing/?id=3353

I think I have lice, what do I do?2024-02-02T11:59:35-08:00

Lice are tiny insects that live on humans and survive by feeding on blood. When a large number of lice live and reproduce on a person, it is called an infestation. Lice are spread easily from one person to another through close bodily contact or through shared clothing or personal items (such as hats or hair brushes). They cannot jump or fly. Lice will not go away without proper treatment. In the meantime, they can be spread to other household members, sexual partners or other people you may come into close personal contact with. If you think you have lice, try a nonprescription product or call a health professional. More information: Lice

I am a CGU student and no longer eligible for care at SHS or MCAPS, how do I transfer my care to another provider?2024-02-06T13:57:15-08:00

For students currently receiving care at MCAPS, your current provider will work with you on a care plan for ongoing support options. Please visit the MCAPS webpage at https://services.claremont.edu/mcaps/faqs/ for answers to frequently asked questions, mental health resources, and information on obtaining your medical records. Please note that medical records transfer will be unavailable from May 30, 2023, until August 1, 2023.

For medical services, if you are in active treatment with an SHS provider for an ongoing condition, please consider booking a visit with your provider to address any specific concerns or questions. You can obtain many of your visit records using the SHS Health Portal: https://shshealthportal.cuc.claremont.edu/confirm.aspx.

If you prefer to book a visit with a new provider, you can book a visit with 7C Health Timely Care 24/7 at no cost, or you contact your insurance plan or utilize their website to find a list of in-network providers.

What services are available to me in lieu of SHS and MCAPS?2024-02-06T13:55:51-08:00

CGU and KGI will offer services for medical and mental health visits through 7CHealth – The Claremont Colleges telehealth provider.  You can learn more about services and book a visit using the 7C TimelyCare website. Please remember to use your campus email.

CGU Students: The CGU Dean of Students office has compiled additional information here that may assist you during this transition.

I am a CGU or KGI student. What is the last date I can use SHS and MCAPS services?2024-02-06T13:54:09-08:00

After the following dates, SHS and MCAPS will no longer be able to provide medical or mental health care. At SHS, graduating students can be seen until 5/12/23, and enrolled students who are not graduating until 6/30/23.  At MCAPS, all students can be seen until 5/12/23.

I am a CGU or KGI student. Can I be seen at SHS or MCAPS?2024-02-06T13:54:49-08:00

CGU and KGI students will no longer be eligible to receive in-person services at Student Health Services (SHS) or the Monsour Counseling and Psychological Services (MCAPS) after the end of the 2022-2023 academic year.

This action is because the institutions will no longer contract with The Claremont Colleges Services to offer in-person services at SHS and MCAPS. The staff at SHS and MCAPS have truly valued the opportunity to serve graduate students at The Claremont Colleges, and we would like to express our sincere wish for every student’s success and well-being in the time ahead.

I am a CGU or KGI student. After June 30, 2023, where can I get medical services?2024-02-06T13:53:22-08:00

As a courtesy, SHS provides this listing of resources for consideration by CGU and KGI students.

Can I complete my Department of Transportation (DOT) physical at SHS?2024-02-02T11:58:28-08:00

SHS is not certified to complete the physical form for the Department of Transportation (DOT). Local providers that are certified can be found on the DOT search webpage here. 

As a new student of The Claremont Colleges, what is required to gain access to the residence halls or register for classes?2024-03-20T09:28:00-07:00

All incoming students of The Claremont Colleges have pre-arrival health and immunization requirements that must be completed prior to the start of their first term, which are listed below.

  • Online Health Forms, including a TB screening form, which is accessible through the Online Health Portal
  • Completed entrance physical and immunization record obtained from your home doctor, prior school, or military must be uploaded to the Online Health Portal. Entrance physical must have been completed in the last twelve months.
  • Any student who will be under age 18 on August 15, 2024, must have their parent or guardian complete the Minor Consent to Treat Form.
How do I upload my immunization records and physical to My Health Portal?2024-03-20T09:32:23-07:00

Instructions for uploading your physical can be found here.

Instructions for uploading your immunization records can be found here.

When are the Entrance Health Requirements due?2024-03-20T09:33:42-07:00

Entrance Health Requirements are due by July 15th. If you are unable to submit your completed requirements by July 15, please do so prior to your arrival on campus. If you are unable to complete your physical or entrance immunizations, please contact SHS at (909) 621-8222 before your arrival on campus to schedule an appointment.

What immunizations are required at The Claremont Colleges?2024-03-20T09:34:20-07:00

The following immunizations are required:

  • Hepatitis B – 3 dose series or blood titer result
  • MMR (Measles-Mumps-Rubella) – 2 dose series or positive blood titer
  • Varicella (Chickenpox) – 2 dose series, positive blood titer, or history of disease confirmed by a medical provider
  • Tetanus-Diphtheria-Pertussis (Tdap) – 1 dose within the last ten years
  • Meningococcal ACWY-135 – 1 dose on or after the sixteenth birthday for all students 21 years or younger
If I am missing any of the required immunizations, can I get them done at SHS? What is the cost?2024-03-20T09:35:43-07:00

Students are encouraged to complete all required immunizations prior to their arrival to campus. If you are unable to complete any required immunizations before your arrival, they can be obtained at SHS by appointment only. Appointments can be scheduled by calling us at (909) 621-8222.

If you are unable to complete any requirement prior to your arrival on campus, please contact your Dean of Students Office for specific guidance for your campus.

Pricing for immunizations at SHS can be found here.

If I don’t have an entrance physical, what should I do?2024-03-20T09:36:45-07:00

Entrance physicals should be completed prior to your arrival on campus. If you are unable to complete this requirement before you arrive, you can complete it at SHS. The cost of a physical at SHS is $45. To make an appointment for a physical, please contact SHS at (909) 621-8222.

If you are unable to complete any requirement prior to your arrival on campus, please contact your Dean of Students Office for specific guidance for your campus.

I completed a physical for sports. Can I submit this as my entrance physical?2024-03-20T09:38:01-07:00

Your sports physical can count as your entrance physical if it has all the required information. You should also upload a copy of your immunization record and your sports physical.

Please note that the athletic department does not submit sports physicals to SHS. Even if you have already submitted your physical to athletics, you must still upload a copy to your Online Health Portal.

What is the difference between the meningitis B vaccine (Bexsero) and the meningitis booster?2024-03-20T09:39:02-07:00

The required Meningococcal ACWY-135 vaccination is different than the recommended Meningococcal B vaccination. All students aged 21 years and younger need to have a Meningococcal ACWY-135 vaccine on or after their 16th birthday. Meningococcal B vaccinations are highly recommended but are not required at this time.

How recent should the entrance physical be?2024-03-20T09:39:38-07:00

The entrance physical should be completed within the last twelve months.

If TB testing is required due to the result of the TB screening, how recent should it be?2024-03-20T09:40:09-07:00

If TB testing is required, it should be completed no sooner than six months prior to your arrival on campus.

What should I do if I have a medical or religious exemption for certain immunizations?2024-03-20T09:41:05-07:00

Students who wish to file an exemption from required immunizations should complete the Affidavit for Exemption to Medical Requirements. This form is located on the Online Health Portal under Optional Forms.

Go to Top