Risk Management

Committed to raising awareness and protecting resources by promoting risk-averse policies and practices.

Contact Risk Management

Phone | (909) 621-8050
Email | riskmgmt@claremont.edu

TCCS Administrative Campus Center
101 South Mills Avenue
Claremont, CA, 91711

Information and Services

  • Certificates of insurance
  • Authorization of drivers for college-owned vehicles
  • Additional insurance related questions
  • How do I obtain an international travel assistance insurance
    • For information regarding international travel assistance and to print an insurance card please reference
      International Travel Assistance.
  • What vehicles are insured by The Claremont Colleges?
    • All vehicles owned or leased by the colleges are eligible for coverage. For more information regarding eligibility, please reference Insurance Requirements for Vendors, Contractors and Service Providers.
  • What incidents require a claims report?
    • All incidents involving third-party bodily injury or property damage should be reported to the Risk Management office immediately.
  • How do I report an incident to the Risk Management office?
    • To report an incident, contact the Risk management office either by phone or email.
  • How can I become a TCCS authorized driver?
    • To be an authorized driver, you must fill out a motor vehicle records release authorization (Records Release Authorization) and submit it to the office of Risk
  • How do I obtain a certificate of insurance?
    • A certificate of insurance can be obtained by emailing the Office of Risk Management. Please include a copy of the supporting documentation (contact, lease agreement, grant, etc.) specifying the insurance requirements and limits.

Minimum requirements:

  1. Valid driver’s license within the united states and of the proper class for the type of vehicle to be driven.
  2. An acceptable motor vehicle record that demonstrates the following:
    • No more than three (3) moving violations and/or at-fault accidents in a rolling three (3) year period or drivers over the age of 21
    • No more than two (2) combinations of moving violations/accidents for drivers under 21

Drivers are not eligible to drive if the following applies:

  1. More than three (3) at-fault accidents in the previous 3 years, for drivers over 21
  2. More than two (2) at-fault accidents and/or moving violations, for drivers under 21
  3. Any license suspension or restriction
  4. Any of the following violations that result in a conviction
    • driving under the influence (drugs or alcohol
    • racing (or any violation related to racing)
    • negligent, reckless or careless driving (or the equivalent)
    • hit and run
    • use of vehicle for illegal activities

Additional criteria for approved status:

All authorized drivers shall complete one or more training programs based on the nature of the driving that they will be doing for the college. At the discretion of the college, additional or remedial training may be required based on circumstances unique to the individual’s driving experience.

Automobile Insurance:

  • The college’s commercial auto insurance covers only vehicles rented, leased or owned by the colleges.
  • The colleges self-insure all physical damage to college vehicles and will reimburse departments for repairs for physical damage subject to a $100 deductible.
  • If a college vehicle is involved in a property damage or personal injury accident, it must be reported to the office of Risk Management as soon as possible.

Insurance card for leased and rented vehicle for 2023 – 2024

Personal Auto:

  • When using a personal vehicle for business, personal automobile insurance coverage is used first.
  • The college’s automobile coverage is secondary and will provide excess automobile liability coverage in the event of third-party claims.
  • No comprehensive or collision coverage is provided for your personal vehicle by the college’s insurance.

In the event of a vehicle accident, immediately take the following steps:

Stay Calm

  • Keep calm so that you can remain in constant control of the situation

Safety Check

  • Make sure everyone is secure and unharmed
  • Assess your vehicle’s condition to determine if it is safe to occupy and if it can safely be moved.
    • If a vehicle can be moved without creating further hazard, move it to a safe location adjacent to the accident site.
    • If a vehicle cannot be moved, call 911 and wait for assistance
  • If on campus, call Campus Safety at (909) 607-2000.
  • If off campus, call 911.

Gather information

  • Obtain the other driver’s name, address, phone number, and drivers license
  • Gather the vehicle information
  • Obtain the insurance information or a photo of the insurance card
  • If safe to do so,  take photos of both vehicles at the scene

Notify Risk Management

Submit an Accident Report here as soon as possible and notify Risk Management of the incident.

Risk Management
(909) 621-8050

All contractors and other vendors doing business with The Claremont Colleges must provide proof of insurance that meets the colleges’ standards.

  • The Claremont College(s) must be named as the additional insured in terms of general liability coverage. Minimum General Liability requirements are $1M per occurrance $2M aggregate. Higher limits may be required for certain vendors or projects.
  • All contracts must contain a standard indemnification clause.
  • Coverages are to be considered as minimum requirements and in no way limits the liability of the contractor.
  • A certificate of insurance with the coverage and listing of the college(s) as the certificate holder must be obtained before work begins by the vendor/contractor.
  • Coverages represented on the certificates of insurance must show policy numbers, effective dates and limits.
  • All policies shall provide evidence of insurance written by a carrier licensed in the state of California and rated at least “A” in “A.M.’s Best’s Key Rating Guide.”
  • Renewal certificates of insurance shall be provided annually until the work is completed.