OBSA Alumni Involvement
The Office of Black Student Affairs (OBSA) is a cultural center and service unit within the Claremont University Consortium.
OBSA is developing a seven-college alumni database in order to offer a series of opportunities to connect with current students in the following ways:
- The OBSA 7C Virtual Student-Alumni Mentoring program is now accepting applications
- Drawing from OBSA’s database of over 100 Black alumni, Black students are able to match with alumni for virtual mentoring and coaching across colleges, disciplines and professional interest.
- Designed to connect students to alumnis with resources, support and other opportunities
- Matching is done on a rolling basis and pairs are self-directed.
- OBSA has developed and hosts a Claremont Colleges Black Alumni Engagement LinkedIn page. Alumni can use the page to share information, learn about OBSA’s specific initiatives directed to alumni and engage with one another on a range of topics. All students are invited to participate in the Alumni Mentoring program, the annual alumni weekend brunch, and to use OBSA’s networks to connect to Black alumni of The Claremont Colleges.
Connecting students to Black alumni that are interested in supporting, advising and communicating with current Black students.
As of spring 2015, OBSA now hosts a yearly alumni weekend brunch to welcome alumni, share information about OBSA’s current initiatives, and make connections with students.
OBSA may seek potential hosts to provide housing for students who take part in OBSA’s annual Black Alternabreak program. Black Alternabreak is a week-long community engagement trip during Spring Break. Students commit their break to volunteering with organizations in the larger community, addressing social issues such as environmental justice, community uplift, homelessness, and hunger. Coordinators lead three trips each spring to San Francisco, San Diego and Los Angeles.
Building a network of local California area of Black alumni of The Claremont Colleges that participates in various programming including networking events and workshops, OBSA anchor programming, speaking engagements for Black Graduation and other events.
If you’re a Claremont Colleges alum and have not already done so, please complete our alumni engagement survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NLJV9HJ
We will only contact you if you indicate on the survey that you want to be part of the initiatives listed above. All contact information is confidential and for office purposes only.
Be sure to attend our yearly alumni receptions hosted in OBSA during your college’s alumni weekend. Stop by and visit OBSA when you are in town or make an appointment to chat with our staff!